Friday, March 8, 2013

Career Trajectories

I've been looking at a lot of resumes lately as we try to grow our development team.  Many of the senior developer candidates that I see have numerous positions on their resumes with countless technologies littered all over the resume.

My immediate impression of these resumes is that these candidates are smart and technically very sharp.  Phone calls and interviews have shown me that these candidates generally fit the immediate first impression; they are smart and technically very sharp.

In contrast, my resume looks much more simplistic.  I've worked for two companies since I've graduated from college.  I was at my first company for nine years and I've been at my current company for seven years.  My resume isn't littered with myriad technologies, but I have had to transition my primary technology stack several times over my career.

Looking at the senior candidates has had me thinking about the stark contrast between some of their resumes and my own.  As I sorted through the emotional reaction of feeling woefully inadequate, I started to realize that the two very different resumes represent two very different value propositions.  Neither of them is better or worse than the other; they are just different.

For ease of discussion, let's call the resume listing numerous positions and varied technologies as the tech resume.  The resume with fewer positions but for longer time periods we'll call the business resume.  (NOTE:  I'm bad at naming things.  These names don't represent anything other than a convenient short-hand for referring to them.)

The tech resume seem to represent an injection of specific technological expertise.  Programmers with this kind of resume can bring a broad perspective and expertise in specific technologies that may be needed at certain points in time.  The most successful technologist with this kind of resume communicates well and can transfer his knowledge to others.

To me, the business resume represents a team player and someone who is trying to be a part of something bigger than oneself.  This person generally focuses on culture, team work, and the development of people.

I wonder what the long-term career paths are for these two people?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation, Darren. I'm 59 and have been working in silicon valley (Bay Area) since 1979. I started out on the "business-resume" path and after a 5 year stint as a mid-level software manager for a major computer manufacture switched to the "tech-resume" path. I found I was spending a lot of time managing people and less time actually designing and coding. This scared me! I knew I was an OK manager and could improve over time but my fear was two-fold: 1) organizations were flattening and managers were frequently the first to let go during the numerous economic down turns. 2) technology was changing rapidly and I didn't feel I could keep up without being extremely hands-on. Life's been good and I'm never without work. That being said, I do have friends who have done very well on the business tract. As you said, both choices are valid. I do disagree with you on one point. You said that the business resume represents a team player. Another important team player is the one who works hard with the others to understand and implement a solution and then moves on when no longer needed. We've all been at places where certain individuals can't seem to figure out that their job is done and it's time to move on. Whether employed or contracting I try to treat all work as a project. If the project is over and there's not another significant project, then it's time to move on. It doesn't mean I'm not a team player, it means that I have the organization best interest at heart. Good post there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right in disagreeing with me on the team player thing. My intent wasn't to imply that people with the tech resumes are not team players. I think they can be as much as anyone. I appreciate your insights!

    ReplyDelete